FUFA, Uganda’s football governing body, on Saturday held a meeting with club captains and Club representatives chaired by the Fufa President Moses Magogo to discuss the welfare of players in the football environment.
The meeting featured representatives from both the Big league and the Uganda premier league discussed topics like player development, player branding, and also players’ intermediaries among others.
FUFA president Moses Magogo appreciated the key role the players play in the survival of the football game but also urged these same players that it’s their role to understand that the football environment is more than the football they play on the pitch.
We appreciate the role you play as players that make the football product but you must understand your role, the environment around in order to get a better product. It’s more than the football you are playing.Moses Magogo
In the meeting the FUFA president stated that the Government had proposed that as professional footballers, they would pay taxes on their monthly salaries as they were also Citizens tapping on Uganda’s resources, enjoying services provided by the government and also contribute to NSSF to prepare for their life after football.
The Government has officially written to us regarding NSSF and taxation for the players’ earnings. As law-abiding citizens, definitely we must pay taxes but it is also important for players to save with NSSF. If we are talking about professionalism, these are some of the things we must embrace.
The law in Uganda requires that employees pay 5% of their total monthly wages and their respective employers top up with 10% of employees’ total cash remuneration. Every member, therefore, saves 15% of their total monthly remuneration with NSSF.