Barcelona captain Lionel Messi has continued to open up on his contract saga with the club as he claims he did everything in the interest of the club.
The Argentine hit the world with shocking news last month with a transfer request to leave the Catalonia based club, activating a clause in his contract that allowed him to leave for free.
Following Messi’s claims, Barcelona hit back claiming that the window in which the clause would be active had closed as the request for free transfer was supposed to be made in June, not in August.
After consulting his family and representatives, rather than dragging Barcelona to court, Messi decided to stay at Camp Nou for another season which could be his final season in Catalonia, after his relationship with the board hit an all-time low.
However, with the season already underway, Messi in an interview with Sport Es has declared that everything he did in August was in the interest of the fans but rather not to offend them. “I take responsibility for my errors and if they existed, it was only to make FC Barcelona better and stronger,” Messi said.
“I wanted to send a message to all the circles and fans that follow us. If at any moment, any of them were annoyed by something that I said or did, let there be no doubts that anything I did was always with the club’s best interests in mind.”
Messi in the interview went ahead and begged everybody to put disagreements behind and get on board for the new season.
“After so many disagreements, I would like to bring an end to everything. We all have to be united and assume that the best is yet to come, Uniting passion with excitement and motivation will be the only way to achieve our objectives, always united and rowing in the same direction,” the 33-year-old said.
Barcelona, who won their first game of the season against Villareal convincingly, will be back on Thursday against Celta Vigo.