Kiira Motors Corporation has embarked on a move to flood the regional market with close to 30,000 buses having 65% of their parts and components localised by the year 2030.
This move, according to a statement issued on their official twitter accounts, is underway as they have started working with reputable strategic partners to build on the successful development of the Kayoola Electric and Diesel Buses that were built at the famed UPDF National Enterprise Corporation Luweero Industries in Nakasongola.
If all goes according to plan, it won’t be long before the transport system in Kampala and the newly created cities is modernized as Kiira Motors and their partners have pledged to roll out 1,030 electric buses by the end of 2021. This development will also be effected outside Uganda with East African neighbors Kenya and Tanzania potential clients.
“Kampala and other cities in the region have for decades faced challenges of road and traffic congestion, pollution, unemployment and under employment resulting into low fuel economy, poor air quality, low labor productivity and compromised road safety” read the press statement.
According to Kiira Motors, these lifelong challenges will be solved by establishment of a robust integrated and inclusive mass transport system based on environmentally friendly transport solutions which are locally sourced hence growing the economy.
These developments are set to create over 30,000 jobs directly and 100,000 indirectly on top being inline with the Vision 2040 outlined in the National Development Plan 3 and NRM’s 2021-2026 manifesto.
Kiira Motors Corporation(KMC) is a government company that was established to champion the Development of the Domestic Automotive Value Chain for job and wealth creation with its equity partners being Government of Uganda through Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation scooping a mouthwatering 96% of initial stock leaving Makerere University with 4%.
Having developed Africa’s first electric vehicle in 2011 first hybrid vehicle in 2014 and first solar electric bus in 2016, KMC were rewarded with allocation of 100 acres for the establishment of a production plant at Jinja Industrial and Business Park and have since broken into the market with the Kayoola EVS, a fully electric, low floor city bus with a range of 300 kilometers on a full charge.