Everything we are doing now, it is in response to the Coronavirus pandemic that has swept the world forcing major retreat in many sectors, tourism inclusive. A Wall Street Journal publication actually goes ahead to predict that the world will likely get to bck to something close to December 2019 or better in 10 years – that is 2029.
Local and Foreign Tourism was bound to take a huge hit when travel restrictions due to coronavirus happening and the UN reports that the coronavirus crisis cost the global tourism sector $320 billion in lost revenue during the first five months of 2020, threatening the livelihoods of millions of people.
The government of Uganda has gradually relaxed the lockdown measures and we can now afford to walk again as a Tourism industry – after close to four months of crawling.
Tourism has been the biggest foreign exchange earner for Uganda in the previous financial year. The natural endowments of Uganda had it receive people from all walks of life and the continent to come and marvel at the beauty that lies herein. Beyond the money generated by the industry was the exploration and haring of cultures between the people of Uganda and the tourists alongside the employment opportunities for young people in other sectors in the country such us Hotel management, tour and travel agencies, tour guides, service providers at the tourist sites among others. It is needless to say how key and booming this industry has been over the last couple of years.
There is pandemic. We may take a while to experience normal. We need not lose our minds as Ugandans. Enter Kempten Safaris. Local tourism has always between slow because of the hefty charges and this is an angle we are trying to exploit. Ugandans need to enjoy their backyard without having to lose a kidney while at it.
This would come with many challenges but the desire to promote the local tourism industry is overwhelming. Kempten remains committed to its dream to promote tourism in Uganda especially among young people. The sheer drive to meet new cultures, share experiences and also network among young people is the reason we exist.
Uganda is vastly ethnic and it is these cultural experiences that we want to share with whoever comes in touch with us – enjoy the beauty and diversity served by the pearl of Africa.
That is not even the full story. Owing to the fact that Uganda’s population is majorly youthful and entrepreneurial, Kempten is here to work with all young business owners to provide platforms for network and financial growth. This is because, in order to provide the ultimate experience, we have to source external services. We collaborate with other businesses to give our friends, clients the best experience.
It is not all glossy. There are a number of challenges we hope to conquer.
- The closure of the international border means the foreign boom will continue to lag, and coupled with limited access to border districts, some sites are out of reach currently.
- Education institutions were a major client but with the resumption of the academic calendar in suspense, the industry will do without that energy.
- The government SOPs are strict on social distancing and this cuts on numbers involved while increasing the operational costs.
- The biggest of them is all is HODOPHOPIA – the irrational fear, or phobia, of travel.
Regardless, we move! That is an adage that has gained momentum and we are so much borrowing it here. We continue to soldier on because:
- We have strictly followed the guidelines provided by the Ministry of Health to ensure and uphold the safety of our customers during these trips. Before departures, we check people’s temperature, we ensure they have all sanitized, have their masks on at all times, and observe social distance within the cars.
- Shorter trips are doing the magic. Travel is irrespective of the distance. The experience at the end of road has proven to be worth it.
- Discounts and specifically travel packages are keeping us afloat. We are also able to sell the value proposition of numbers to the different tourist destinations which enables us get subsidized rates.